The KEDDO Area Agency on Aging provides a service for older Oklahomans and their caregivers called Information and Assistance (I & A).
Information and Assistance is generally designed to help older individuals who need information about a program, service, or simply have problems and do not know where to turn for help. Some older individuals call for assistance with problems or information because they have no one to help them or are unable to get out to seek a service. Individuals needing assistance in the KEDDO Service area may call (800) 722-8180 or (800) 211-2116.
The service is also designed to help caregivers of older individuals. Many people who find themselves caring for an older person quickly discover how little they know about the maze of service providers and where to start asking for help or information about needs and/or services.
The Information and Assistance service is designed to do the following:
- Provide individuals with current information on opportunities and services available within their communities, including information relating to assistive technology.
- Assess the problems and capacities of the individuals.
- Link the individuals to the opportunities and services that are available.
- Establish adequate follow-up procedures to ensure that the individuals receive the services they need and are aware of the opportunities available to them.
- Serve the entire community of older people, particularly older people in the greatest economic or social need.
The I & A Specialist networks with other service providers in order to keep current on the changes that occur to programs and services and to learn about new services that may be initiated in the service area. Every year an Information and Assistance directory is published by the I & A Specialist, which is a valuable resource for many service providers in the area as well as for individuals.
The I & A Specialist also does quarterly newsletters and regular news releases to area media in order to keep the public informed about the service.